You are the best judge of your child’s health, and we trust you will not bring a sick child to the center. However, if in the opinion of the teaching staff/director your child is sick, we will call you to come and pick-up your child within one hour.
Your child will be isolated from the other children until you arrive.
The following criteria will be considered in determining if your
child must go home:
• a fever of 100 degrees or more
• inflammation of the eyes (excessive redness, glassy or discharge)
• more than one incidence of diarrhea or loose stool which is not contained within clothing
• communicable disease as defined by the Department of Health Services/Center for Disease Control
• unknown rash
• excessive nasal discharge, especially if yellow or greenish, since this indicates infection
If your child is sent home due to illness, he cannot return to preschool/child care until he has been free from symptoms for 24 hours without the use of a fever reducer. This is to allow your child ample time to recover and stop the spread of illness to the other children and staff.
After your child has been ill, it is important to adhere to the following guidelines when determining whether or not your child is ready to return to school.
• Mood, appetite, behavior and activity are again normal
• No fever for 24 hours without a fever reducer
• Antibiotics (if prescribed) have been used for a full 24 hours (48 hours in the case of strep)
• Vomiting, diarrhea cleared for 24 hours
• Frequent coughing, excessive nasal discharge resolved
• Pain (earache, cramps, headache, etc.) resolved
It is your responsibility to notify the school if your child has a communicable disease or infestation such as: measles, mumps, chicken pox, or head lice. A child may be readmitted without a statement from a physician only if the child has been absent for a period of time equal to the longest incubation period of the disease as specified by the Department of Health and Social Services. The local Health Department will immediately be notified of all communicable diseases and a note will be posted in the parent information center when there has been exposure to a communicable illness in the center.
Please consult with your Director if you need additional information.
Children returned to the center with signs of illness or communicable disease will be refused admittance.
A medical log will be maintained to record any injuries/accidents or medications dispensed.